Winning Bizness Desk
Mumbai. With the arrival of the festival season, everyone's eyes are fixed on the bank holiday. Most of the year's bank holidays are in October and November. This year also, banks will be closed for 21 days in October of 31 days due to some festivals like Navratri, Durga Puja, Gandhi Jayanti, Dussehra, Diwali and some other important festivals falling in this month. The 21 bank holidays also include 2nd, 4th Saturdays and Sundays. However, some of these holidays will also be decided on the basis of the rules of the state government.
Holidays are fixed in three brackets
The Reserve Bank of India has divided bank holidays into three brackets. These include the Holidays Under Negotiables Act, the Holidays Under Negotiable Instruments Act and the Real Time Gross Settlement Holidays and Bank Closing of Accounts.
Here's the full list of Bank holidays in October:
- October 1: Half Yearly Closing of Bank Account
- October 2: Gandhi Jayanti and Sunday
- October 3: Durga Puja (Maha Ashtami), banks will be closed in Agartala, Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Imphal, Kolkata, Patna, Ranchi.
- October 4: Durga Puja/Dusshera (Maha Navami)/Ayudha pooja/ Janmotsav of Srimanta Sankardeva. Banks will be closed in Agartala, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Gangtok, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi, Shillong and Thiruvananthapuram.
- October 5: Durga Puja/Dussehra (Vijaya Dashmi)/Janmotsav of Srimanta Sankardeva. Banks will be closed across India, except in Imphal.
- October 6: Durga Puja (Dasain). Banks will be closed in Gangtok.
- October 7: Banks will be closed in Gangtok.
- October 8: Second Saturday and Milad-i-Sherif/Eid-i-Milad-ul-Nabi (Birthday of Prophet Muhammed). Banks will remain closed in Bhopal, Jammu, Kochi, Srinagar and Thiruvananthapuram.
- October 9: Sunday
- October 13: Karva Chauth (Banks will remain closed in Shimla.
- October 14: Friday following Eid-i-Milad-ul-Nabi (Bank will remain closed in Jammu and Srinagar
- October 16: Sunday
- October 18: Kati Bihu (Bank will remain closed in Guwahati)
- 22 October: Fourth Saturday
- 23 October: Sunday
- October 24: Kali Puja/Deepavali/Diwali (Laxmi Pujan)/Naraka Chaturdashi (Banks will be closed across India, except in Gangtok, Hyderaband, Imphal)
- October 25: Laxmi Puja/Deepawali/Govardhan Pooja (Banks will remain closed in Gangtok, Hyderabad, Imphal, Jaipur)
- October 26: Govardhan Pooja/Vikram Samvant New Year Day/Bhai Bij/Bhai Duj/Diwali (Bali Pratipada)/Laxmi Puja/Accession Day (Banks will remain closed in Ahmedabad, Belapur, Bengaluru, Dehradun, Gangtok, Jammu, Kanpur, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, Shimla, Srinagar.)
- October 27: Bhaidooj/Chitragupt Jayanti/Laxmi Puja/Deepawali/Ningol Chakkouba (Banks will remain closed in Gangtok, Imphal, Kanpur, Lucknow.
- October 30: Sunday
- October 31: Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s Birthday/Surya Pashti Dala Chhath (Morning ardhya)/Chhath Puja (Banks will remain closed in Ahmedabad, Patna, Ranchi.